This temple is one of the 51 holiest ‘Shaktipeeths’ (Shrine of the goddess of power ) in India as per Hindu mythology.
According to mythology, Lord Vishnu had cut off the body of Mata Sati into 51 pieces with his ‘Sudarshana Chakra’ and all these pieces fell at different places throughout the country and these places are known as ‘Shaktipeeths’. It is said that 'right foot' of Mata Sati fell at Matabari on the southwestern outskirts of Udaipur town, headquarter of present south Tripura district of the state. This ‘pithasthan’ (centre of pilgrimage) is also known as Kurma Pith because the shape of the temple premises resembles that of "Kurma" or tortoise. The idol of ‘Maa Kali’, presiding deity of the temple, stands in the sanctum sanctorum and it is made of reddish black stone, popularly known in Bengali as 'Kashtipathar'.
The Goddess ‘Kali’ is worshipped in her incarnation as ‘Shoroshi’ (sixteen year old girl) in the temple by professional priests. An idol of smaller size of Maa Kali called 'Chotto Maa’who stands beside the presiding deity used to be reportedly carried along by the kings during hunting expeditions and also during war for improrptu worship in tents. The temple consists of square type sanctum of the typical Bengali hut structure with a conical dome. The temple was constructed in 1501 A.D. by the then Maharaja Dhanya Manikya.In the eastern side of the temple there is the famous ‘Kalyan Sagar’ lake where fishes and tortoises of huge size are found and devotees feed them with "Muri" (puffed rice) and biscuits. No fishing is permitted in the Kalyan Sagar.Every year on ‘Diwali’, a famous ‘Mela’ or fair takes place near the temple which is visited by more than two lakh pilgrims.