Sivasagar was once the capital of the Ahom Kings. The Shans who came from Thailand through Northern Myanmar to this area in early 13th century, ruled for 600 years. The Siva Temple, built by the Ahoms, situated here is believed to be the tallest of all existing Hindu temples. The ruins of the Ahom palaces and monuments dot the landscape around this historical town. Centuries, before the arrival of the British, this part of the world was controlled by a number of tribal chieftains.
Shiva Dol and Shiva Sagar(Tank): A huge 125 acres water tank was built here by Queen Ambika in 1734AD. On its bank are three temples - Shivdol, the most important of three, attracts large number of devotees on Shivaratri. It is probably loftiest Shiv temple in the country.
Ranghar remains Asia's largest amphitheatre and was the cultural playground of Ahom Swargadeos or Kings which was constructed in 1746 during the reign of King Pramatta Singha. The royal king and his officers would sit in the auditorium and watch indigenous games like wrestling, birds' fight, buffalo fights and more. There is a beautiful park near the ancient royal auditorium, which enhances the picturesque setting.
The Tai- Ahom Museum of Sivsagar contains some of the relics of the Ahom period like - swords, clothes, manuscripts and sundry artifacts
Ahom architecture over the centuries has resulted in some of most defining edifices. The Talatal Ghar at Sivasagar is a seven storied building with four floors of basement and three floors above ground. And amazing simplistic palace for the Ahom Kings.
14 kilometres eastward from Sivasagar town is the majestic seven storied Karenghar. In 1540, the Ahom King Suklengmung or Gargoyan Raja shifted the capital of the state to Gargaon and it emerged as the principal capital of the Ahom Kingdom. It was first constructed by King Rudra Singha in 1699. The successors thereof made several alterations and additions to this palace. The original structure was made of bricks. The original structure was made of bricks and stones. The present palace made of bricks and indigenous cement was constructed by King Rajeshwar Singha in 1752. The palace is of seven stories; four above and three below the ground. The structure was partially destroyed during the East India Company when they carried away valuable material to build their offices and building.